Fluffy, creamy, and perfectly smooth. This buttercream is perfect for stacking, filling, coating, and piping!
1 C. Unsalted butter
1 C. All-vegetable shortening
1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp Heavy whipping cream
7 1/2 C. (2 lb bag) Powdered sugar
1 Tbsp Pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Cream together the butter and shortening on medium to medium-high for 5 minutes.
2. Pause mixing to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then resume mixing for another 5 minutes.
3. Very slowly add half of the powdered sugar while mixing on the lowest setting.
4. Add 1/4 C. heavy cream, vanilla, and pinch of salt and mix on low for 1 minute.
5. Very slowly add the remaining sugar and continue to mix on low.
6. Add 1-2 Tbsp of heavy cream to achieve desired consistency. I like my frosting to be on the softer side, so I go ahead and add two additional Tbsps.
This recipe yields just enough frosting to stack, fill, and cover and four layer 6″ cake. You may need to make additional frosting to add decorative piping and accents.
Keywords: Frosting, buttercream, vanilla buttercream, cake frosting, cake