Oreo “Dirt Cake” Layer Cake
Oreo Dirt Cake Layer Cake is a childhood favorite all “grown-up!” Not to mention, it’s a chocolate lover’s DREAM!
Oreo Dirt Cake Layer Cake is made of layers upon layers of vanilla cake, chunks of Oreo cookies, and Chocolate Pudding filling, all finished with rich chocolate ganache, and chocolate Jimmies!
- Cake #3 [and my final] of my “Cakes With Pudding In It” series. If you have a better name for this series PLEASE tell me in the comment section! 😂
- Oreo “Dirt” Cake Layer Cake is a nostalgic twist on my BEST Vanilla Cake Recipe.
This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that I may make a small commission if you purchase a product using those links (Thank you!!). This in no way affects my opinion of those products and services. All opinions expressed on this site are my own.
Oreo Dirt Cake Layer Cake At A Glance
Why You’ll Love It
What You’ll Need
Other baking essential
Here are some additional tools to upgrade all of your bakes!
Let’s Get to the Glow-Up
I won’t bore you with a tale of the enormous impact Oreo dirt cake had on my childhood. 😂 Let’s just get straight to the cake making!
In this post I’m going to outline the key components of making the Oreo Dirt Cake Layer Cake.
For a full tutorial on assembling this cake, check out my Video Tutorial Here!
- The BASE recipe that you’ll need for this cake is right here. We will be modifying the recipe slightly to include Oreos in the batter + an Oreo crust on top of the cake layers!
- Follow all of the steps in that recipe post but once you’ve made the cake batter— PAUSE and come back here and follow the instructions below before baking!!
- Once you make up your vanilla cake batter, fold in 15 crushed Oreos.
- Pour the cake batter into your baking pans and top with a light handful of crushed Oreos.
- Lightly press the crust into the cake layers.
- Continue on and bake as instructed in the Vanilla Cake Recipe Post.
- Chill layers completely before assembling cake!
- For the chocolate pudding filling (pudding mix, cream cheese, whipped topping, etc.) see recipe card at the end of this post. 😊
- My Chocolate Buttercream Recipe Just one batch will suffice! We’re only using it to build up the cake and hold in the filling with a thin crumb coat!
- … more Oreos… about 10 Oreos, filling removed, and finely crushed/ground. These will be the “dirt!”
- I finished this beauty with a SUPER simple butter ganache and rolled it in chocolate jimmies, then topped with simple ganache rosettes!
- If you want to see exactly how I did it, check out the video here!
- Use Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips + Unsalted Butter
- It’s a simple 2:1 Ratio. 2 parts chocolate chips + 1 part butter.
- For this cake, I used 2 C. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips + 1 C. Unsalted Butter
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish, like a glass bowl.
- Add in the chocolate chips and make sure they’re completely covered. Let them sit for five minutes.
- Gently mix until completely smooth!
- This ganache is so tasty and in my opinion, less temperamental than heavy cream ganache. It sets and thickens more quickly, making it perfect for our purposes of “frosting” our cake!
- If you make ahead of time and then find that the ganache is already setting and too thick to work with, just pop in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until it comes back to the correct consistency!
Chocolate Pudding Filling
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 Cups 1x
Fluffy Chocolate Pudding Filling! A dreamy mousse-like texture, perfect for filling layer cakes and other desserts!
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 C. whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 oz Chocolate Pudding mix
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together heavy cream + pudding mix.
- Let set for 2 minutes.
- While that’s setting, in another bowl mix together cream cheese + powdered sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Mix the cream cheese mixture + pudding mixture together until combined.
- Fold in the whopped topping until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container until ready to use!
I know some of these measurements are awkward, but much more than this is just WAY too much for filling a cake! Feel free to double this recipe and use the rest of your filling for parfaits or other fun desserts!
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: desserts
Keywords: cake, dessert, chocolate, Oreo
- Shoot me an email to email@example.com with any questions you may have! I’d love to help!
- You can also shoot me a DM on Instagram or TikTok @wildflourmama and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Ready to take your baking to the next level?
Click below to get your copy of my FREE Guide: 7 Secrets to Making Stellar Cakes!