Are you tired of buying non-stick cooking spray? This money-saving recipe is for you!
This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that I may make a small commission if you purchase a product using those links (Thank you!!). This in no way affects my opinion of those products and services. All opinions expressed on this site are my own.
Some may call me cheap– I prefer frugal.
Y’all. Baking ain’t cheap. Sure, there are plenty of ways to save on ingredients, like buying in bulk, buying store brand, etc. But it still typically adds up to a large investment up-front!
Even if you don’t plan to make cakes quite as often as this avid baker, it’s not like you can buy just enough ingredients or supplies for one made-from-scratch cake (hmm… perhaps a great opportunity for some young entrepreneur).
And I haven’t even gotten to the non-ingredient supplies like cake pans, parchment, spatulas, and scrapers! If you’re just getting started and have to build your pantry + supplies from ground zero, it just ain’t cheap.
That’s why I LOVE to discover and brainstorm every single opportunity to save every penny I can on this baking journey and then share it with you. Baking is so fun, but I understand, there’s not always a large cake budget, or hobby budget every month!
I SO totally get it.
So let’s tick one pricey item off of your list of baking expenses.
Y’all. I’m not knocking the genius behind putting non-stick coating in an aerosol can, because come on– how much more convenient can it get?
However, you just might be kicking yourself when you realize you have all of the ingredients for the perfect DIY cake release already in your pantry, but you’ve been buying it off the shelf as a 300% markup vs making it at home!
Hold up, girl. You’re telling me non-stick spray is 3x more expensive than making it at home?
Yes, ma’am that’s exactly what I’m sayin.
I did that cake math for you. If you use store brand ingredients from my recipe below, you will have cake release at 1/3 the cost per oz than buying it in a spray can off the shelf. Even if you use name brand ingredients you’re still saving over 1/2 the cost per ounce.
Better yet, the chances are you are already have all of the ingredients in your pantry, and if not, you’ll buy them and you will use them for other cake + frosting recipes on my blog, such as My PERFECT Vanilla Cake Recipe. No waste! *high fives all around*
But wait, theres more?
Yes! There’s more!
The best part of the DIY Cake Release recipe is that it WORKS. I actually think it works…. better…
You’re sacrificing no quality while saving money. I believe you’ll actually experience better results with the DIY cake release! (Which I would looooooove to hear about in the comments!)
Dun-DUH-NUH-DUUUUNNN! Here it is!
Alright. Enough jibber jabber. Here’s the recipe, if you can even call it that. It’s so simple!
DIY Cake Release Recipe
Mix together 1:1:1 (equal parts)
1. Whisk together until smooth
2. Store in an air-tight container on the countertop or in the fridge!
3. Replace your non-stick spray by lining your baking pans with a thin coat of release paste before each bake!
Voila! That’s it!
Some additional tips for the DIY Cake Release recipe:
1. A little goes a long way (which makes it even more economical)! I used to slather it on my pans, and that makes for a rather soggy bottom. So don’t do that.
2. If you’re making a larger cake, or just want added protection, layer a parchment round on the bottom of the pan. Use precut parchment rounds or cut your own! So the order is cake release > parchment > cake batter
3. You can leave on your counter in an air tight container for 3 months, or in the fridge for 6 months.
4. I used 1 C. of each ingredient when I made my last batch of this stuff. I’ve made 31 six inch round cakes and I’m about halfway through it.
5. If you don’t bake as often as I do, start with just 1/4 C. of each ingredient for your first batch to avoid waste. Then you can gauge how fast you go through it for next time!
6. Whisk by hand or use a mixer. Either way, mix vigorously until all the clumps are gone! It will happen. Trust me! It just takes a hot minute (esp. if mixing by hand)- but it’s worth it!
Did You Find This Post Helpful?
Leave a comment below!